If you live in Bishop’s Stortford, I know you’ve heard it all before:
“Sell now- buyers waiting!” “Housing market has picked up- sell now!”
You might even think that there’s no guaranteed good time to sell your home in Bishop’s Stortford, but in fact, we as estate agents know see time and time again that spring can be the best time to put your home on the market. Here’s why:
- The hubbub of the festive season is over – often, especially for first time buyers, they spend one too many Christmases living at home with family and they decide that NOW is the time to get that all important first house.
- The weather is improving – this might seem a mundane point BUT once the sun decides to make more of an appearance this can have a huge positive impact on your property photographs. We all know how crucial great photos are to selling your home so having the weather on-side is a must.
- The summer holidays haven’t started yet – this is important. Most people factor in a few weeks for their sales to complete and ideally you want to move house when everyone has a bit of time off. So putting your house on the market before the summer holidays is great because lots of other likeminded movers will be doing the same.
- Tie in with your spring clean – this can be a super handy way to kill two birds with one stone as they say. Giving your home the dreaded spring clean needn’t be a chore if you’ve got hopes to sell. By giving your home a serious deep clean you can rest assured that potential buyers will fall in love with your lovely, tidy home.
- Fresh start – much like the above, in spring time lots of people will be looking for a fresh start; either to try something new or start a new job and often, people will be looking for a new home too. In the spring, people are de-cluttering their homes and their lives and your property could be exactly what they need; de-clutter and stage your home in the right way and it could sell like hotcakes.
Obviously the spring time buzz can’t be applicable everywhere and to every situation and there are a few pitfalls that you need to make sure you avoid. One tip is to:
Check out your council’s website – you don’t want to put your home on the market just as major road works are about to start up the road or just as planning has been granted for a huge building extension next door.
Selling your home is all about tactics and timing. Make sure that not only you and your home are prepared but that you are as clued up as possible about what is happening in your local area so you can make sure you don’t put your home on the market at the wrong time.
To celebrate spring, we’re asking everyone for their top spring cleaning secret! You can tweet your secret to @PPropertyShop or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will share the top tips on our Facebook page.
What to read next? ‘7 ways to achieve the best price when you sell’